Kenya, one among Africa’s most vibrant democracies, votes on Tuesday. Right here’s what it’s essential to know in regards to the events, leaders and key election points.
Nairobi, Kenya – On August 9, Kenyans are heading to the polls to select the nation’s fifth president in what pundits say shall be a hotly contested election.
4 candidates are competing for the nation’s prime place. William Ruto, having served two phrases as deputy president within the present authorities, is keen to succeed his present boss, who he’s feuding with.
Raila Odinga, who has unsuccessfully contested the presidency 4 occasions earlier than, is his foremost challenger. He has the backing of the outgoing president, Uhuru Kenyatta, his former foe. Two different candidates, George Wajackoyah and David Mwaure, full the checklist.
Moreover the presidential election, individuals may even go to the polls to vote in governors, Members of the Nationwide Meeting, senators and Members of the County Meeting.
Twelve individuals shall be nominated to the National Assembly, in accordance with the structure, to symbolize particular curiosity teams together with individuals with disabilities, youths and staff.
How do individuals vote?
Voting is finished electronically within the second such election after a historical past of guide failures.
- On account of technological failures within the 2017 polls that led to the Supreme Courtroom calling for a rerun of the presidential contest, there’s a guide voters’ register that’s normally sealed till wanted however stored within the polling stations.
- After voting, the ballots are counted and outcomes varieties stuffed, then taken to the constituency tallying centres the place outcomes are collated and introduced, earlier than being taken to the county and nationwide tallying centres.
- In line with Justus Nyng’aya, an Impartial Electoral and Boundaries Fee (IECB) commissioner, the physique will transmit outcomes through a public portal “as a picture, not textual content”.
To be declared winner in Kenya’s winner-takes-all electoral system, a presidential candidate has to obtain greater than half of all of the votes solid within the election; and at the very least 25 % of the votes solid in every of at the very least half of the counties.
In line with the structure, if no candidate is elected, a brand new election needs to be held inside 30 days after the earlier one.
- Solely candidates who obtained the very best and second highest votes tally are eligible to contest a brand new election.
- The candidate who receives essentially the most votes within the new election shall be declared elected as president.
- A presidential election shall be cancelled and a brand new election held if a candidate for president or deputy president dies on or earlier than the scheduled election date; or the president-elect dies earlier than being declared elected.
IEBC chairperson Wafula Chebukati has said the fee is printing 22,120,458 poll papers – the precise variety of registered voters.
In Kenya, as in lots of elements of Africa, ideology politics will not be the order of the day. Residents are extra inclined to attend for good governance and people-oriented tasks, no matter whether or not it comes from a socialist or capitalist authorities.
- Additionally, for a lot of politicians, energy is the final word purpose so their ideologies are malleable and so they usually swap social gathering allegiances or create them. Consequently, personalities drive politics on the continent, not events.
- Raila Odinga, a longtime centre leftist who’s famously recognized for campaigning for multi-party politics in Kenya, was a long-term foe of the present president, however is now the institution candidate and barely proper of centre.
- Deputy President William Ruto is campaigning as an outsider in a centrist authorities and has adopted a comparatively right-wing method, along with his populist Kenya Kwanza (Kenya First) motion as a marketing campaign automobile.
- On the acute left of the spectrum is George Wajackoyah, a professor who desires to legalise marijuana, impose four-day working weeks and hold these convicted of corruption.
- To the acute proper is conservative clergyman David Mwaure, who completes the checklist.